The main objective of the Ontario Fulltime Training Group (FTG) is to introduce and/or prepare athletes to high performance training in a fulltime training environment to better prepare athletes for future international success and eventual transition to the National Team towards the Olympic podium. Athletes training within a FTG are provided the support of an integrated support team through monitored sport science services. The Ontario Fulltime Training Groups are the result of a partnership between the Ontario Volleyball Association, Canadian Sport Institute Ontario (CSIO) and the Ontario High Performance Sport Initiative (OHPSI).
In addition to ball training, athletes training in the Fulltime Training have the support of an integrated support team through workshops and personal consults that include the following personnel:
- Strength & Conditioning Coach - Samantha Eyles, CSCS
- Mental Performance Coach - Brian O'Reilly
- Registered Dietician - Nicole Springle, RD
- Physiotherapist - Meghan Buttle, MScPT & Nicole Sullivan, MScPT
- Medical Team - CSIO
JUNIOR FULL-TIME TRAINING GROUP
The Junior group services the 18-16U developmental level and is ideal for athletes who are interested in being exposed to the training and preparation needed for current or future U17 and U19 World Championship objectives.
Fulltime Beach Training:
- November 2017 – April 30, 2018
- Weekly training up to 4 days per week at Volleyball Canada’s Fulltime Training Centre at Downsview Park.
- Lead strength & conditioning 2 days per week
This program is for identified athletes from the Team Ontario program. If you wish to be identified for this program, contact Angie Shen at email@example.com.
Integrated Beach Training:
- November 10, 2017 – April 1, 2018
- Two weekly training sessions at Volleyball Canada’s Fulltime Training Centre at Downsview Park
- Friday 6:30-8:30pm
- Sunday 9:00-11:00am
- Optional Lead strength & conditioning 2 days per week
- Tuesday 7:00-8:30pm
- Friday 4:30-6:00pm
- Optional third training session every week on Tuesday 4:00-6:30pm
- Players from the 2017 Team Ontario programs are already identified for this program
- For other athletes, an ID camp will take place on Sunday December 10, 2017 at the Volleyball Canada’s Fulltime Training Centre at Downsview Park from 9:00-11:00am
- Players admitted in the program after the ID camp will join the program at a reduced and prorated cost to account for the late start
- Cost: $1600 +HST
This option is designed for athletes who are playing indoor club volleyball and who are interested in integrating beach volleyball to their training program. The training load is monitored to ensure optimal development.
To be eligible for this option, athletes must be training a combined minimum of 8 hours per week between their indoor and beach volleyball training sessions.
Attention will be given to the maximum training load that the athlete can sustain. Thus athletes may be asked to minimize or forgo their beach training when their indoor training load is high.
Athletes interested in joining the Integrated Program or in attending the ID camp can contact Angie Shen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Beach Training
- January 6, 2018 – April 29, 2018
- One weekly training session at Volleyball Canada’s Fulltime Training Centre at Downsview Park.
- Sunday from 11:00-1:00pm
- Available to 14U/16U/18U athletes
- Athletes will be placed within their developmental level
- $425+HST for 10 sessions
- $499+HST for unlimited sessions
This program is for athletes who want to maintain a certain level of beach training throughout the indoor season but who can’t commit to a regular beach training program.
Registration for this program will begin in November 2017. Athletes interested in participating in this program can contact Angie Shen at email@example.com
- information coming soon
SENIOR FULL-TIME TRAINING GROUP
The Senior FTG services the Train to Compete developmental level and is suited to athletes who are interested in training and preparing for current and future U21 World Championships, NORECA Continental or FIVB World Tour beach events. 8-12 athletes per gender will be identified for the Ontario Fulltime Training Group. The main objective of this group is to optimize physical and mental preparation of athletes through the utilization of a common integrated support team with the National program in order to contribute to the seamless development and transition for athletes on to the National Team towards a future Olympic podium.
October 2017 – April 30, 2018
- Weekly training 5 days per week at Volleyball Canada’s Fulltime Training Centre at Downsview Park.
- Lead strength & conditioning 2 days per week
- Nutrition consultation & monitoring
- Fill out the following identification form
- Contact Senior Beach Development Coach Angie Shen firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost: 2017-18 Winter:$TBD + HST
- information coming soon
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What do program costs include?
Program costs include:
- Coaching support during OVA Beach Tour, provincials, nationals, and key competitions
- Support of integrated support team: Nutrition & hydration monitoring, mental performance training, injury prevention, yoga, strength & conditioning
- Athletes are responsible for all tournament fees and registration.
* Athletes are responsible for all tournament fees and registration (excluding Canada Games).
Do I need beach experience to be a part of the team?
No! Indoor athletes who have never played beach are perfect candidates to for the Beach Team Ontario program. Beach Volleyball is a developing sport and thus athlete exposure to the sport is later than indoor volleyball. The Beach Team Ontario program is looking for athletes who are eager to learn and committed to their own improvement.
What are the minimum participation requirements?
The minimum participation requirements are:
- Junior FTG athletes must participate in applicable national team or Canada Games trials, OVA Youth Grand Slam, both provincials, and nationals unless attending an international beach competition.
- Senior FTG must participate in applicable national team or Canada Games trials, both OVA Grand Slam events, both provincials, and nationals unless attending an international beach competition
Do I need a partner or can I tryout by myself?
- Athletes are not required to tryout with a partner as athletes are identified on an individual basis. However athletes appropriateness in choice of partner and ability to secure a partner for the full season will be taken into consideration. Selection of athletes will include a consideration for finding the appropriate number of blockers and defenders.
- Note that athletes in already existing teams are not guaranteed to make the team or the training group together. Team Ontario coaches will assist those athletes who are selected for the team and guide them on selecting a partner and securing one for the season.
What if I have Team Ontario Indoor Tryouts or Indoor Nationals during the beach selection camp weekend?
- Athletes trying out for Team Ontario Indoor on the same weekend are exempt from Friday physical testing and Saturday Team Ontario Beach selection camp days. Athletes in this situation must contact Senior Beach Development Coach Angie Shen email@example.com upon registration.
- Athletes who are interested in trying out for Team Ontario Beach yet have a conflict due to indoor nationals please contact Senior Beach Development Coach Angie Shen firstname.lastname@example.org.