Ontario Volleyball Association (OVA), the provincial sport governing body for Volleyball, and all its disciplines, is looking for a qualified and experienced leader for the position of Executive Director. The Executive Director serves as the chief executive of the OVA and, in partnership with the Board, is responsible for the successful management and leadership of the organization.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to do the following:
- Demonstrate strong operational management and administrative skills including the ability to effectively develop and execute an operational plan that incorporates goals and objectives supporting the strategic mission, vision and values of the OVA.
- Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery. Oversee the development and implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices.
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations. Implement a performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on-going basis and conducting an annual performance review.
- Monitor the day-to-day delivery of programs and services to maintain or improve quality.
- Provide prudent management of the OVA’s financial resources (plans, controls and monitors) in a manner that meets organization goals and strategic objectives.
- Ongoing promotion of the OVA mission and vision, seeking funding and supporting opportunities including, but not limited to, grant applications, fundraising events and sponsorship programs. This includes negotiating and developing contracts with partners and sponsors on behalf of the OVA, and marketing volleyball and the organization to current and potential supporters.
- Develop and implement plans for a secure, effective and robust information technology & management system.
- Identify and evaluate risks to the OVA, OVA stakeholders (members, staff, partners, volunteers, etc.), property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks.
- Foster effective teamwork between the Board and the Executive Director and between the Executive Director and staff.
For more detailed information see the OVA Executive Director Position Profile.
Education: University degree required. Education in a related field is an asset.
Experience: 10 or more years of progressive & effective management experience.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of all federal and provincial legislation applicable to voluntary sector including: employment standards, human rights, occupational health and safety, non-profit organizations, privacy and freedom of information, etc.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the Canadian and Ontario Sport system and Canadian Sport for Life movement.
- Knowledge of current challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the OVA and Knowledge of human resources management, financial management, information technology and project management.
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/voluntary organizations
- Demonstrated ability to improve organizational effectiveness and results by providing strategic positioning, direction, and leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to strategically establish, nurture, and build relationships and partnerships with stakeholders; Board of Directors, funding partners, sponsors, OVA members, government and the volunteer community.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the business implications of decisions and to improve organizational performance, requiring an awareness of issues, processes and outcomes impacting the OVA and its members and stakeholders.
- Proven track record of fund generation through grant writing
- Strong management, mentorship, and team leadership experience
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills;
- Proficiency in the use of word processors and spreadsheets and general technological and internet competence
The Executive Director should demonstrate competence in the following:
Developing Plans: Determine strategies to move the OVA forward, set goals, create and implement action plans, and evaluate the process and results. Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress toward goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
Problem Solving: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations to resolve the problem.
Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices, and ensure that own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with OVA values.
Building Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the OVA.
Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
Focus on Stakeholder Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the OVA.
Commensurate with experience.
The Executive Director will work a standard work week, but additionally will often work evening, weekends, and overtime hours to accommodate activities such as Board meetings and representing the organization at events.
This position works from the OVA Office at 3 Concorde Gate, Suite 304, Toronto, Ontario.
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: NOVEMBER 22, 2013 (11:59pm EST)
Submit cover letter and CV, confidentially to: EDsearch@ontariovolleyball.org
The Ontario Volleyball Association is an equal opportunity employer.
We would like to thank you for your interest in the position however only successful candidates will be contacted.