ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF MEMBERS
Sunday, December 3, 2017
8:30 am - 9:00 am - Breakfast in Fireplace Lounge
9:00 am – 11:00 am – Coach Symposium (2 presentations)
10:00 - 11:00am - Q&A Breakout Sessions
11:15 am – 12:15 pm Town Hall (Tryout Window) & Q&A Breakout Sessions
12:15 - 1:00 pm - Lunch
1:00 – 2:30 pm – Town Hall - Youth Competition Stream
2:30 – 3:00pm OVA Presentations
3:00 - 3:30 pm - Annual General Meeting
University of Guelph
Guelph Gryphons Athletics Centre
50 Stone Rd E, Guelph ON, N1G 2W1
Parking Lot – P14
The purpose of the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Ontario Volleyball Association (OVA) is to inform the members and to deal with the usual business of the OVA, such as Report of Auditors and Elections. Prior to the AGM, coaching presentations and staff reports along with a question and answer period will occur.
The coaching presentations will provide participants Professional Development Points for their National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) and is complimentary for all delegates and members.
Included in this package, please find the following information in preparation for Ontario Volleyball’s 2017 Annual General Meeting:
- Itinerary and Map, see Appendix A for AGM Agenda
- Notification of Delegates
- New Business, see Appendix B for form
- Notice of Quorum
- Approval of Auditor
- Confirmation of Accommodation Requirements
- Elections – President, Vice-President Admin/Secretary, Director at Large (2)
- Election Decision
- Approval of minutes from 2016 AGM
- Audit Financials
Note 2 – Notification of Delegates
As per bylaw 3.9, members will have the following voting rights at all meetings of Members:
Regional Members will be entitled to elect one Delegate for every two hundred (200) Individual Members registered in their geographical area defined in Appendix “A” and each Delegate may attend and participate in meetings and is entitled to one (1) vote. For example:
i. 0-200 Individual Registered Members – 1 Delegate.
ii. 201-400 Individual Registered Members – 2 Delegates.
iii. 401-600 Individual Registered Members – 3 Delegates.
Regional Delegate lists must be sent to the OVA by the Regional Presidents, including alternates by Friday November 24th, 2017. Although your identified delegates need not be present to participate in the Regional AGM, it is important to note that only those names that are on the list that is submitted to the OVA will be declared eligible to vote at the OVA AGM.
Each region is eligible to send the noted number of delegates to the OVA AGM on December 3, 2017:
- Region 1 is eligible to send one (1) delegate
- Region 2 is eligible to send three (3) delegates
- Region 3 is eligible to send twenty-one (21) delegates
- Region 4 is eligible to send four (4) delegates
- Region 5 is eligible to send seventeen (17) delegates
- Region 6 is eligible to send seven (7) delegates
Total # of delegates: 53
Note 3 – New Business
Enclosed is a New Business Form (please see Appendix B). As per bylaw 3.6 of the Constitution, any Member who wishes to have new business placed on the agenda of a meeting will provide written notice to the Association at least ten (10) days prior to the meeting date or upon the sole discretion of the President or designate. The procedures are:
- New Business agenda requests must be received at the offices of Ontario Volleyball by email or fax, no later than midnight on Wednesday November 22, 2017.
- Should a voting member wish to make a request, please complete and submit the form. New Business agenda requests will be accepted by email or fax. Please forward to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note 4 – Notice of Quorum
As per bylaw 3.7, fifty percent (50%) plus one (1) of the voting Regional Members will constitute a quorum at the OVA AGM.
Note 5 - Approval of Auditors
The Voting Members of Ontario Volleyball have the right to approve the Association’s auditors for the following year. The OVA has decided to put forth the following firm for consideration as the Association’s auditors for the Fiscal 2018 year:
MacNeill Edmundson Professional Corporation
82 Wellington Street London, ON N6P 1C9
This firm completed the Fiscal 2017 audit.
Note 6 – Confirmation of Accommodation Requirements
Any delegates planning to attend the AGM need to confirm their accommodation requirements with the staff of Ontario Volleyball by Monday, November 13, 2017. Please contact Kaitlin Arscott, email@example.com.
Note 7 – Director Elections
See Appendix C for board member criteria and job descriptions. At the 2017 AGM, there are four Director Positions up for election:
- Vice-President – Admin/Secretary
- Director at Large (2)
As per bylaw 4.10 of the OVA Constitution, any nomination of an individual for election will include the written consent of the nominee by signed signature; a cover letter, resume and three references and a letter of support from a voting Regional Member or Director. Please submit Director Nomination Form to Nominations Committee firstname.lastname@example.org by November 26, 2017.
As per bylaw 4.11 of the Constitution, nominations from the floor for election as the President, Vice President(s), or Directors at Large(s) may be accepted upon the approval of twenty-five (25%) percent of the voting Members in attendance at the meeting and must include the written consent of the nominee.
Note 8 – Election Decision
Decision – Elections will be decided by the voting Members in accordance with the following:
- One Valid Nomination – Winner declared by acclamation.
- Two or More Valid Nominations – Winner is the nominee receiving the greatest number of votes. In the case of a tie, the nominee receiving the fewest votes will be deleted from the list of nominees and a second vote will be conducted. If there continues to be a tie and more than two nominees, the nominee receiving the fewest votes will be deleted from the list of nominees until their remains only two nominees or a winner is declared. If only two nominees remain and there continues to be a tie, the winner will be decided by the Board of Directors by resolution.